Updated: Dec 7, 2021
Imagine You New In St. Petersburg Florida tells us how to treat under eye wrinkles.
The skin around your eye is very delicate. Because of this the collagen under the thin skin under the eye will start loosing its elasticity. These things happen because of free radical damage to the skin cells, aging, sun exposure and toxins in the environment. board certified dermatologist
When the skin under the eye goes through all of these different events in life, skin around the eye area begins to break down and it looses its elasticity.
Because the elasticity is lost, the eye area becomes wrinkled and forms lines.
If you have a darker skin tone, you are less likely to develop lines early on. The lighter skin tones are more susceptible to lines, mostly because they are more sensitive to sun, and their melanin is much lighter, therefore, you can see everything.
You want to be aware of you facial expressions.
If you're outside without sunglasses, do you squint?
If you're upset, do you raise your eyes.
When looking at a computer screen, do you find yourself squinting?.
When you make these facial expressions and hold them, it will cause the matrix of collagen to bend.
If this movement is repetitious, it will make the lines stay.
It also makes a difference on how you sleep. If you sleep on your side or stomach area, this can have side effects such as crow's feet.
People with poor circulation under the eye area usually have dark circles, dry skin or have allergies. Because of the inflammation caused from allergies the swelling can slow blood flow. If your constantly itching and rubbing the eyes, you can also be pulling the skin which is not good for anti aging.
What Can I do to prevent under-eye wrinkles?
While wrinkles are pretty much an inevitable part of the aging process, there are some wrinkle treatments that you can do
1. Wear the right skin-care products at night: Use a moisturizer and serum that’s specifically designed for the eyelids. This will be much different then the texture of a moisturizer for the body or the face. Using retinol eye creams are really good because they build collagen and also help prevent fine lines and wrinkles.
2. Wear sunscreen at all times- sunscreens and sunglasses should be a big part of your life, regardless of what your skin type is. This will prevent signs of aging due to sun damage.
3. Focus on sleep Habits- You can start sleeping on your back to avoid any rubbing or smashing the eye area, or you can buy a silky pillow case that can help.
4. Get the blood flowing- It's good to use products with some stimulation, even doing a massage around the eye area to work the lymphatic system and get the blood flow moving.
How can you treat the wrinkles under the eyes once they’ve set in?
Once fine lines begin to work their way onto your face, there are a few things you can try to help make things smoother:
1. Invest in Imagine You New hyaluronic acid and antioxidants
Hyaluronic acid is very plumping to the skin and will make the skin smoother. Using gentle antioxidants such as resveratrol and ferulic acid will also help with smoothing and treating wrinkles. Using retinol is also a way to help with the under eye lines. Retinoids reduce fine lines and wrinkles by increasing the production of collagen.
Retinol products are best used at night time and depending on the percentage of retinol and how the product is mixed, it's always a good idea to build up to the product, meaning slowly adding it in till you get to every day. This will allow for the skin to not experience any peeling.
Retinol also stimulates the production of new blood vessels in the skin, which improves skin color
2. Stay away from fragrance in eye creams: Avoid anything with a fragrance because the lower eyelid skin can be very sensitive. The creams will probably be too thick and have no delivery system, causing milias around the eye area. The fragrance in the products can also cause a severe allergic reaction that can swell the eye, or make the skin around the eye very irritated. It's best to get a quality skin care product with a delivery system.
3.Imagine You New facials can help build collagen: - Using micro needling or radiofrequency will help to tighten the skin and rebuild collagen and elastin. These treatments can also be used as preventative treatments to prevent wrinkles.
4 . Getting injectables- We don't do injections here at imagine you new, but they can help with plumping and lifting around the eye area, and can also be used as preventable measure for anti aging. A Board certified dermatologist may offer this service.